Saturday, June 14, 2014

Vamos Ticos!!

So the World Cup started on Thursday and Costa Rica has turned into a different place! Everything is about "futbol." Class was put on hold to watch the opening ceremonies, and on my way home Thursday I saw that there is viewing area in a local park! The local bars and restaurants were crowded with people watching the first games of the 2014 World Cup. Today (Saturday) was Costa Rica's first game and things were crazy! I played it safe and stayed home and watched the game with my mom since she was sick, and I was worried about venturing out on such a hectic day. Together we watched about 2 hours of the pregame on the news, then finally the game started! My mom was so enthusiastic about the game, it was so exciting to watch. Every time the Tico's (Costa Ricans) scored she screamed and cheered, and you could hear people all over the neighborhood screaming and cheering! "Vamos Ticos! Vamos Ticos!" Costa Rica beat Uruguay 3-1 it was an exciting day here! After the game the news was showing all of the locals partying at the mall near my house and running around in the street screaming and cheering! Horns were honking all over the neighborhood and my mom was so excited! A few hours after the game I decided to get out and go to the store and people were still driving around with flags hanging out of the car and horns honking like crazy. It is so amazing to see a country with such much pride and everyone coming together and being sooo happy over a simple soccer game win. 

Anyway, enough about futbol, I have some good news for those of you that haven't heard already!! Friday I decided to go out exploring and I signed up for spanish classes at a school called Maximo Nivel (maximum level). Classes start Monday and I will be going 3-5pm for the next two weeks. I am hoping that the classes, along with help from my family, I will be decent speaking spanish in no time! The school also takes trips on the weekend with tour guides, so it'll be a safe escape for me going with an organized group instead of trying to go alone. (No more worries for grandma!) They also have salsa lessons every Monday night, so I may join in on the fun, those of you that know me know that I love to dance! 

Tomorrow is Father's Day here in Costa Rica as well and my family will be gone with their dad. I think I'm going to venture out to the city and people watch. Holidays are very big here so it'll be nice to see what's going on around town. If I take any pictures I will definitely share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment